Tuesday, April 24, 2007

gone...


If a job is worth doing... it is worth doing well!
Don't you agree?
Following on from the recent acts of vandalism against our poor gatepost, our property convener with some assistance managed to get the post put back together again. (Wish I'd taken a photograph of it fixed again.)
However, earlier today, the workmen who came to fill in the holes in our driveway made a proper job of it - completely demolishing the pillar with their van!
I had seen the van and went out to see what was going on. I saw the two workmen trying to heave the large cap-stone over to the side of the driveway. When I asked them what was happening they described what they had done. To their complete surprise I burst out laughing.
The conversation then went something like this:
(workman) "Are you the minister here?"
(me) "Yep"
"Is that why you are taking this so well?"
"Could be. Were you expecting me to start shouting and swearing at you?"
"Well that's what usually happens. When we saw the door open we wondered 'what size is he going to be?'"
[they needn't have worried on that score as both of them were well over six feet and with well-developed muscles (no doubt built up through manhandling stones from gateposts they have demolished)]

The driver then tried to explain his actions...
"It was very narrow!"
"So you decided to make it wider? Eh? You know, I've driven a 35cwt truck through there without hitting anything."
"Aye, but you had the Lord to guide you... (pause) ... we're Satanists (not said seriously)"
"Well, whether you are Satanists or not, I hope you're better at filling in holes than you are at driving your van!"

Now another set of workmen will have to come out to re-build the gatepost.
Funny how one little piece of work snowballs into a major job-creation project.

I'll keep you POSTED on any further developments.

5 comments:

Shony said...

I wondered what had happened to the post. Actually I had guessed what you have explained to be the reason. As I passed late this morning the site of the truck stopped at the post and two men looking rather guilty with one on the phone oh and I should say staring at the remains of the post sort of gave it away. :-) Thanks for explaining I had wondered if I was right.

Alice said...

Superb!!

Paper Dreams, Honey. said...

Well that was very helpful of them!

Now twice as much work needed!
Plus the beech tree has gone too. At least Ailsa has a good plan to plant some more little trees to try and make up for the loss of it. It was truely tragic!(and that is said with a non-sarcastic tone, by the way!)

Good luck with the repairs!
I really should post another blog soon.Hmmm.

H xx

Cherie said...

Hilarious verbal exchange! You are good sport, Iain. I look forward to seeing the job done, and hopefully for good this time.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Having the job done "for good this time" might suggest the other gatepost being knocked over! :-)