Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Water, water everywhere...

This photo, also taken on Monday, is especially for Cherie as she apparently has a thing about water (see comment on yesterday's post.)
It is the River Clyde - though it could be almost any river. To me, it was simply an abstract picture of reflections in water with subtle moving shapes and tones.
Like Cherie, I find water fascinating.
In a deep pool, when the surface is still and the reflections are sharp, it can be very soothing and comforting. Gentle wavelets lapping on a stony beach can be equally calming and peaceful. And, if you are used to living by the seashore, even the regular pounding of waves on rocks can be reassuringly relaxing.
The house (i.e. tenement slum) in which I was born was right next to a high waterfall and the stream ran beside our house (although I think a lot of it also ran through the foundations of our building which was always damp: a dampness which gave me rheumatism in my knees when I was a child.) Whatever the drawbacks of living right next to that waterfall, I always found the sound of it reassuring.
I even like it when the sea gets angry and batters the coast with elemental force- though I certainly would not want to be sailing on it in stormy weather and I admire those who do.
When I lived in Ayr for a couple of years, at the start of my ministry, I used to head down to the quiet beach at Seafield on a Monday morning, whatever the weather, and just let the sea speak to me.
For all these reasons I find the description in the Book of Revelation about the new heaven and the new earth very strange (Rev. 21:1) because it says "there was no longer any sea."
There is no place for the sea in the Hebrew idea of heaven because the sea represents primordial chaos. (Actually I think it may just be that the Hebrew people have never been great sailors, but what do I know about these things?)
At any rate, while I am still on this earth, I am grateful to all those who do go down to the sea in ships. (Psalm 107:23-24)
I am also very thankful today that the British sailors and marines who were being held hostage in Iran have been released unharmed, though I am deeply saddened by those who have lost their lives or their homes in the most recent tsunami.

1 comment:

Cherie said...

Thank you, Iain!! You are right on the money, I DO have a thing for water. Your description of water's effect on you is perfectly how I feel as well. The tiniest little bubbles in Yellowstone thrilled me, the stormiest of storms at the coast thrill me. Waterfalls, brooks, white water rivers, deep still ponds, lakes. Any and all. Even puddles after a rain shower.

I gazed at your photo here, before I read your words, then smiled when I noticed, as I read, that you see it as I do. An abstract of reflections with subtle moving shapes and tones.

Much appreciated! Thanks again.

I share your relief and thanks that the sailors have been freed, and the sadness of a tsunami's victims.