Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Keep it under your hat...


Not everyone who reads my blog bothers to read the comments that sometimes appear from other readers. That is a real pity because often the comments are more interesting, and more insightful, than the original post. In particular, you should read the comment on the last post from Cherie.
I especially like the bit where she said: "And then I realized that what I was doing with this little whatever-it-is is similar to how truth is often handled, which is your point. I plucked out just the tad that I think I recognize, and am trying to make it fit somewhere so I can have an answer, closure. How many times do we pluck a bit of truth out of a larger context, create a false context around it which is 'understandable' to us, leave it there, apply it incorrectly, and soon call it doctrine? Scary."
Of course, that is exactly what I meant! Couldn't have put it better myself. In fact I didn't!

Anyway, all of this talk about reality and perception, truth and perspective, reminded me of one of my most favourite "children's" stories: Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Hence the picture above.
I was going to quote the opening section of the story which deals with the 'hat' but, better than that, you can read the whole story (with illustrations here.)

Keep posting suggestions as to the mystery object.
I will let you into one secret, though. It is not a boa constrictor!

3 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Iain, that's my very favourite story too. I love the bit about the lamplighter and his endless task too. There's just so much theology in the story. Thanks for bringing it to mind again.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

You're right.
It's an amazing piece of narrative philosophy/theology. Now, if only I could write something like that....

Cherie said...

I am going to look into that book, for it's a new one to me. Thanks for the tip!