Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Still point in the turning world

Another photograph from yesterday's visit to the Falls of Clyde - part of the Corra Linn.
I used the old trick of a slow exposure to show the movement of the water over the stones. It reminds me of the passage of time which, as the years roll on, seems to get faster and faster. When so much around us is changing so fast, we all look for something firm and solid to hang on to - what T. S. Eliot called "the still point in the turning world"*
I find that still point through my faith in God. Not that my faith itself is any more stable or secure than anything else in my life - but I believe God is. He is the still point. The Rock. He is bigger, stronger, 'older' than anything else in the Universe. And, unlike the rocks that form the gorge through which the Clyde makes it way towards New Lanark, He is not eroded or diminished by the passage of time, or the events of history.

(* see Burnt Norton by T.S. Eliot)

By the way, I've just been given a sneak preview of a new Carluke Community website. Once it is officially online, I'll post the link.

4 comments:

Paper Dreams, Honey. said...

I find that too Iain!

He is the one I can always lean on. I often find he is the only one I can lean on in my busy scheduled life at the moment.

He's the force that stops me from giving up!

P.s I havent browsed your blog recently, I have been over-run with srudying...z Z Z. But rest assured I will be leaving a few more comments in the near future!

h xx

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks, H, always good to hear from you.

Cherie said...

Just back from my trip, visiting your blog, to find this wonderful entry - a good place to begin my day!

Glad the stitches are out! I'm thoroughly enjoying all these new photos, too. Water is one of my favorite subjects to experience and photograph - though you do it MUCH better.

I'll be getting to that sheep story soon - ;-)

E.Louise said...

Great picture! Again.