Sunday, April 15, 2007

Break in... break out

Last Sunday, being Easter Sunday, we had an All Age Worship service.
At one point in the service we had the whole congregation playing the old hand game - Rock, Paper, Scissors. I haven't time this morning to explain why to those who weren't there. But I think the congregation were as surprised as I was (when preparing the service) to discover there is a World Rock, Paper, Scissors Society!
I hope everyone knows how to play it.
If not you might like to look at this. Or, to see how not to play it...

There is even an annual world championship - though I suspect not every country in the world sends representatives to it, and the cost of staging it is unlikely to rival that of the Olympics.
As the picture above shows, we also had our own representation of the curtain in the Temple, torn symbolically in two at the death of Jesus. Members of the congregation, of all ages and stages, came out to pin onto the torn curtain little strips of red ribbon, or little pink hearts, to represent all those things in our own lives that may be barriers between us and God, and the congregation were reminded that the grace of God shown in the death and resurrection of Jesus can tear down all these barriers.
It was very moving to see people joining in as enthusiastically with this as they did with the Rock, Paper, Scissors game.
Today, however, is sometimes known as Low Sunday - which for our congregation means they'll just have to listen to me preaching a sermon instead. Definitely an anti-climax.
Much more importantly, the 98-year old lady I mentioned in my last post died yesterday. She was a woman with a very strong faith. We will miss her very much.

2 comments:

Steve Tilley said...

Iain I've put a link to this, with acknowledgement to your blog, in my Church of England newspaper column this month.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks, Steve. I'm afraid I don't have a newspaper column but I do recommend your blog to people because i enjoy reading it a lot. :-)