Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Well, what do you know...


OK - here it is! The mystery object revealed.

But I imagine some of you will still have no idea what it is or what it is for.
A few of you may recognise it, because you have used one yourself.
Some of you may feel cheated, because you realise that you would never have guessed it and it was unfair of me to tease you with the hope that you might have known.
Some of you may even feel disappointed that it wasn't something more exotic, more beautiful, more interesting even.
Oh - and for those of you who still don't know... it is a capo - a simple device for quickly changing the pitch of a guitar.
Here's another picture to show how it works.



Sorry for causing some of you to lose sleep over it! :-) But, you know, it is worth stopping now and then to remind ourselves of how little we actually do know.

If there is a heaven then, whatever it is like, I am sure it will be full of surprises. There'll be things we thought we knew which will turn out to be completely different, and we'll realise that we didn't know it at all. (People too, of course.)

There will be things we did know but couldn't quite make sense of at the time, because we only had a little bit of the picture, or we saw it only as a dim reflection in a mirror.

We will also realise that we never really knew ourselves (the way God knows us) so there should be plenty to keep us occupied for a while...and even eternity. So if, unlike me, you are not interested in learning new things heaven is going to be a pretty scary "place"!

5 comments:

Sandy said...

This was great. I thought for sure it was a fishing pole, so sure that I didn't want to guess and give away your secret. How ignorant that I should think that I know so much. I shall take my embarassment today and be more willing to listen than to judge.

I was told once told that heaven was like our minds. If we are open and willing to learn, then heaven will share the answers and we will see many things we could not in our earth bodies. But if we are closed and thoughtless, heaven shall be that way too.

If that's true, I can only hope that I grow enough to enjoy the answers.

Katie said...

I take my capo off to you for that one Ian

Cherie said...

A capo!!!!! Well, I"m at least relieved that one of my guesses had to do with a stringed instrument.

With Cassie taking guitar lessons you'd think I would have had it on the brain.

This was a very fun puzzle, Iain! Thanks!

Your words about truth are inspired. So much truth, so little time to know it. Heaven will be FANTASTIC!

Richard Havers said...

Love recorded a wonderful album in 1967 called Da Capo. It includes some great tracks including, Orange Skies, She Comes in Colors and the proto-punk Seven and Seven is.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi Richard. I'll check that out - along with your blog too.