Monday, March 12, 2007

Too close for comfort


Just in case Tess happens to be watching over my shoulder, I thought I would post a picture of an elephant, because I know she is fascinated by them.
This particularly magnificent creature was coming towards our vehicle on the Masai Mara in 2002. In the end it decided not to come too close.
Later on, though, a young, but still pretty large, bull elephant came striding up the track towards our 'bus' and refused to stand aside. It came right alonsgide the bus and was about to push its considerable weight around, and could easily have flipped us over. However, our alert and experienced driver 'growled' the engine at him a few times until he reluctantly moved away. Actually (like Tess perhaps) I was too fascinated by this strange but magnificent beast to feel afraid at the time. Only afterwards did I realise that we were perhaps a little bit too close for comfort.

6 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Wow! Love the elephant. You do get around with you camera. Hope Tess approved.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Actually this evening Tess decided to impersonate a lion again - but not in hunting mode. She ate massive amounts then crawled into her bed. Don't expect she will waken for another 12 hours. I like my elephant picture. The original is actually even crisper 'cos it was done on 35mm film but my scanner at the time wasn't too good.

Pam said...

What a beautiful elephant! I am glad you had the presence of mind to take the picture when it was that close. I'm allergic to elephants so I don't dare go on a safari... just kidding. I'm just too chicken. But actually, I probably AM allergic to elephants. They just neglected to test me for them way back when I was a kid.

You take beautiful photographs, Iain.

Cherie said...

Iain, is Africa calling you for a return visit?

Alaska is calling me. I don't know if that happens to anyone else, but I've found myself gazing longingly at my photos, remembering, dreaming, hearing a certain quiet but distinct call.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Not just Africa, but all sorts of other places are calling me for return visits and first-time visits. It's just that my bank account and my diary are shouting much, much louder and telling me that I cannot go. :-)

Shony said...

Another trip to Kenya? What a good idea I was thinking we should. What about in two years time taking another team back including some young people? :-)