Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Duel at dawn


Now here's a strange thing! I took my camera with me to the conference at Aviemore - nothing unusual about that - but the thing is - I didn't use it. (Apart from this one photograph taken from my hotel room window.)
The weather was great, with lots of blue sky and clear air. My contribution to the conference was not too demanding - leading the worship band - so I had time on my hands. There was snow on the mountains and I could have snapped any number of picture-postcard scenes.
But for some reason I just didn't want to.
I had thought I might actually use the camera indoors too - take some shots of the conference itself. But again, for some reason that I can't explain, I chose not to.
I've been trying to think what that reason might be, and the only thing I can come up with is this. Photography, by its very nature, involves the photographer in some way standing outside of the subject and looking in or looking at it. On this occasion, though, I didn't want to be an onlooker: I wanted to be a participant. I wanted to be on the inside of the experience, not observing it from the outside. So I just left my camera in my hotel room the whole time.

Actually I think some people go through most of their lives looking on from the outside, never really living inside their own experience- never really letting go. Observing not participating.
It's certainly true of some Christians in this part of the world when it comes to worship. They become observers, onlookers, an audience, rather than participants who have 'let go' and allowed themselves to become immersed or caught up in the experience.
Thankfully, at last night's closing worship of the Re-Energise Conference this was not the case. The singing was marvellous and it was really great, and humbling, to be involved in making the music. All worship (whatever style it employs, and whatever size the congregation may be) ought to be like this, I think.

As for the picture above, I have no idea what the motor-cyclists were doing. The most obvious explanation is that these were new riders learning how to handle the bike. (In fact, at least one of the bikes does have an 'L' plate. )

But I have another explanation - given that this photograph was taken early in the morning. This was a DUEL! One of the riders had thrown his gauntlet - or at least his motorcycle glove - and challenged the other to a joust. On a given signal the two riders would set off across the tarmac away from each other, turn, and then accelerate towards each other at tope speed, and as they came side by side each would try to knock over his opponent from his bike...

The only thing is... it didn't happen. They never got above 5mph.
So, maybe the first explanation was the right one after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your version - of the duel at dawn-was much much better and creative. Could the reason you left your camera in your hotel room possibly have anything to do with the fact that you stayed up all night slaying the spirit and couldn't focus during the day?

Cherie said...

"Actually I think some people go through most of their lives looking on from the outside, never really living inside their own experience- never really letting go. Observing not participating."

Perceptive of you.

I often leave my camera behind for the same reason. It can distract me and restrain me from immersing myself in the experience. Sometimes it's a choice between good photos, or deep memories.

Do tell, what does an 'L' on a plate mean? Learner, perhaps?

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi Cherie,
Yes - that is exactly what an "L" plate is. Learner drivers have to display one on a car or motorcycle when they are still learning and have not yet passed the driving test. Now, there's another piece of cross-cultural education for you. :-)