Thursday, March 08, 2007

"L" Plates for Life


Learners of Slough, 2, originally uploaded by Chubby Bat.

It had not occurred to me that some folk might not know what an "L" plate is. But that's the beauty of the internet - that we can learn customs and cultures from around the world.
For anyone who doesn't know, or hasn't guessed, the "L" plate is used by learner drivers, who have not yet passed their driving test to warn other drivers of that fact!
When you've been learning to drive, it's a great feeling when you pass your test and you can rip up the "L" plates and go solo.
Although that was about 30 years ago for me, I still remember the feeling, the sense of liberation, and the scary excitement of getting into the driver's seat with no one else in the car and knowing that this time I was ultimately responsible myself.
Mind you, in terms of being a Christian 'disciple' (learner) I am afraid the "L" plates are still very much in place. And there is no way that I could ever pass the test. Jesus once told his learners to "take my yoke upon you."
I think nowadays he might say - 'put the "L" plates on and let me sit with you. We're going out for a driving lesson.'
You see, until you've passed the test, the car is ultimately under the control of the driving instructor not the learner, and yet the learner is the one who has to work the controls and try to guide the car safely around any obstacles. It's a kind of shared responsibility.
In life we are not mean to be mere passengers being carried along and just watching the view through the window. We have to take responsibility. But the disciple knows that he/she is not yet capable of going solo and needs the reassurance, guidance and much greater experience of the instructor alongside.

(Since it is such a long time since I passed my driving test and since all my children have now also done the same, I couldn't find any 'L' plates in the house, so I am grateful for this photo from Flickr.com)

5 comments:

Cherie said...

Yes, another cross cultural education for me! Thanks, Iaian.

The way you applied the "L" plate to Christianity was perfect. I'm glad we never get THOSE "L" plates off; it'd be a terror going it alone.

I'm teaching my daughter to drive now. She's 15. We have 10 hours of practice in. Yesterday we went on the freeway for the first time and I was wishing we had some sort of warning on our car for other drivers, so they might understand and give her some space. She managed quite well.

The U.S. needs to incorportae 'L' plates. It's a splendid idea!

Cassie said...

Hi, I'm Cherie's daughter, the one who's learning to drive. I wish we had those plates here. That would make things a little less stressful for me! : )

Thanks for the picture so I could understand what you were talking about.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi there, Carolina. Thanks for dropping in on my blog. Are you enjoying learning to drive? It is a bit scary at first (especially for the other drivers on the road... No, only kidding.) Having "L" plates IS a good thing because most other drivers here do make allowances for learner drivers.

Cassie said...

Yes, Iain, I am enjoying learning to drive. I've only driven ten hours so far. I can't decide which is scarier, night driving or freeway driving. : )

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi Carolina,
no doubt you've been told it often enough already but the secret of good driving is anticipation. Always expect everyone else to do something stupid or dangerous so you don't get surprised when they do. :-)
Of course, there is no substitute for experience and you can't get that without lots of practice. Happy motoring.