Thursday, March 22, 2007

Name dropping



OK, so I like to place-name drop. :-)

I can't really name drop because I don't really know anyone who is famous.

But, actually, one of the reasons I started this blog in the first place was to share some of my favourite photographs of places I have visited over the years and share some of my thoughts about these places. That's because I think life itself is pretty much a journey and I like to pause now and again to reflect on various places of interest I have arrived at on my life-journey.
Of course, the problem is that this can end up being pretty boring for other people.
I remember once falling asleep while someone was showing us slides of their trip to a foreign country. It's more than a little bit embarrassing when you waken up again, not knowing how much you've missed, or whether you were snoring! But you, dear reader, can fall asleep if you wish, and I won't notice, and I won't hear you snoring, wherever you might be.
This picture you can see here is of the Nubble Lighthouse at Cape Neddick, Maine, USA.
We visited it in 2003.
If I have a thing about bridges, I also like lighthouses a lot. I used to wonder what kind of people had the guts to live the life of a lighthouse keeper. All that isolation and potential danger - like being winched across angry seas, as the lighthouse keeper once would have been here at the Nubble. A bit sad, therefore, that most lighthouses are now fully automated. All the romance and drama have been taken out of the business.
The spiritual metaphors are fairly obvious too - the lighthouse warning of the dangers, guiding ships through hazardous seas to safety, Jesus as Light of the World etc. (One reason that part of our church's youth programme is called the Lighthouse Club.)
But the reason I like this particular photograph is because the light you see doesn't come from the lighthouse itself. The only light here is the reflection of the setting sun in the windows. I had to wait quite a while until this moment came for me to capture.
It's a reminder to me that I have no light of my own: only that which is given to me and which I may then reflect back to others.
Which brings me to the second picture - a banner hanging up in the Guest Hostel of PCEA Kikuyu Hospital in Kenya.

Keeps you humble.

6 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Okay I repent - of the sin of envy. You have been to some fascinating places. And you are a talented and patient photographer. Please go on "boring" us with all your amazing pictures and stories.

Cherie said...

Huh....snort snort....huh, what did I miss??

Just kidding!

I agree with Liz - all of what she said.

The light reflecting.......very very good and yes, keeps you humble.

Kerron said...

Actually I've always wanted to live in a lighthouse.

It reminds me of Round the Twist. :-)

Pam said...

I adore lighthouses! (I adore just aout anyhing having to do with the sea.) If you ever get the chance, I hope you can visit the Oregon coast and see the Heceta Head lighthouse. You've probably seen pictures of it as it is photographed and used often in calendars, books, etc. My husband and I call it "our" lighthouse as it is one of our favorite places to go.

I also appreciated your reflections on the symbolism... pun intended!
;-)

I hope you are feeling better.

Davis Bigelow said...

Nice photograph! Lighthouses are a love of mine too. I like the metaphor.
Davis

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks for dropping in on the blog, "Davis." I'm sure I have some more lighthouse photos, so I'll post them another time.