Friday, March 30, 2007

The charge of the white brigade


I wonder if any of my readers knows anything about the behaviour of sheep?

Behind today's photograph lies a strange tale. Well, perhaps it isn't strange to those who understand the minds of sheep - but to me it seemed more than a little weird.

The incident I am talking about took place a couple of years ago. Every year in early September a number of the ministers in our Presbytery take off for a day retreat somewhere. Occasionally this has been in the form of a spiritual retreat. (On one occasion we even spent most of the day in total silence - no mean feat for a bunch of Church of Scotland ministers!) but on other occasions it has been little more than a day out exploring some part of the country.

In September 2004, I suggested that we take a trip down to the north of England to a part of Westmoreland where a friend of mine had a hotel. We enjoyed a lovely lunch in the hotel then set out for a walk in the rolling hills and dales of this beautiful part of the countryside. It is is criss-crossed with stone walls and you have to climb over many stiles to make your way through the fields.

In one particular field a flock of sheep grazed quietly. But as we approached their end of the field, the sheep started, one by one, to move over to our right and to line themselves up on the brow of the hill, as if they were playing the part of some Native American Indians in an old-fashioned Western. I don't know who the leader was, or what the signal might have been, but suddenly the sheep started to charge over the hill towards us at full speed. [Had it been cattle rather than sheep I would not have stood there taking a photograph!]

The charging sheep swept in front of us then round our left hand side and behind us again until they were back on our right hand side where they stopped.... and simply stared.

What was that all about?
Perhaps the strangest thing of all is that the sheep platoon re-formed at the top of the hill and then repeated the whole episode a second time.
I am sure there is an explanation for it, but, to me, who knows very little about sheep, it was simply bizarre.
But I have to confess that the teamwork was amazing! How did they decide as a group what they were going to do? Who gave the orders? How did they know when to turn?

6 comments:

Steve Tilley said...

See if you can read The Wisdom of Crowds - why the many are smarter than the few by James Surowiecki (Abacus 2004). He explains, interestingly, how crowd behavior, based on every one acting as an individual and doing what is best for them, can produce the best outcome for everyone.

There was no leader sheep, but once one flinched the rest all put their own movements in harmony with the flincher.

Same principle as starlings in flight, crowds in shopping malls and large shoals of fish.

I'm loving the book.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks, Steve, amazingly quick response to my question!

Shony said...

A rather strange incident I agree. I have never experienced being chased by sheep but I had a friend who lived on a farm and thus one day got roped into trying to catch a sheep. Thus I found myself sneaking up behind a sheep while my friend walked in front of the sheep to distract it from my catching it from behind. Alas at the last minute the sheep would realise and bound away. An hour later and the scenario was just the same. Exhausted I had to ask who was leading who?

Anonymous said...

Iain, Good to see you back blogging again after your short break. Hope you are feeling well again. Keep on reflecting.

Cherie said...

This was an educational post, and Steve's book recommendation will be heeded. Thanks for another great look at things unknown to me.

I have a good sheep story, too. Not as good as this. I'll have to post when it when I get back.

Thanks, Iain!

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Let's hear about the sheep, Cherie! :-)