Monday, January 01, 2007

Stormy Weather



HAPPY NEW YEAR

Well 2006 stomped out with a bit of a temper! Gale force winds and driving rain. Nothing new for Scotland, of course, but it seemed to be pretty severe last night. (The picture was taken in the afternoon just as the storm was beginning to build up some steam.)

Maybe it was because I was actually trying to go somewhere. I was trying to take one of my daughters to Strathaven but Strathaven was doing an even better job than Carluke of keeping out foreigners. Just about every road into the town seemed to be blocked by a flood or a fallen tree. Why is it that the trees which are uprooted by storms nearly always seem to fall across a road? (no doubt there will be some scientific explanation.)

Eventually by making a long detour using tiny roads that only just made it onto my map we got through to Strathaven with a certain sense of triumph. Maybe I should apply for a job on the Pony Express (heroes in my boyhood)? Only problem is I don't ride a horse (would they let me use my car?) Worse still, riders had to weigh less than 125 lbs. No chance of that! Especially not at this time of year.

But, the best thing is that in spite of the storms and the obstacles we got through. Perhaps there's a message in that for the New Year that has just begun. Who knows what storms and obstacles lie ahead? A bit of determination and perseverance helps to keep you going - not to mention some very heroic roadworkers last night out clearing fallen trees with their bulldozers!Thanks, guys!

Whatever lies on the road ahead, may you find a safe way through.


God will make a way,
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way,
He will make a way.

By a roadway in the wilderness,
He'll lead me
And rivers in the desert will I see
Heaven and earth will fade
But His Word will still remain
He will do something new today.

God will make a way,
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way,
He will make a way.

Don Moen

2 comments:

Paper Dreams, Honey. said...

Nice Blog Iain!

Not quite had thee time to read everything yet. But i will in due course :)

I love that song. It reminds me of Linsay, probably cause we sang it for GB's and she taught us it♥

Speak soon

hannah xxx

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks for dropping in on the blog and leaving your comments. Please come back often.