Monday, January 08, 2007

Lovely Lanarkshire


The only downside to being at Wiston Lodge over the weekend, was that I wasn't able to get to the 'Lanarkshire Derby' Scottish Cup tie between Motherwell and Airdrie. The compensation for that, however, was the chance to take in some of the gentle beauty of this part of South Lanarkshire. While I was out snapping a few landscapes I tried to listen in to the football on the radio of my mini-disc player. Unfortunately the signal wasn't very good and from time to time disappeared completely. For the most part I coped with it alright, especially when I heard that Richie Foran had scored to put us into the lead. That was still the position for most of the second half as Airdrie threw everything at us to get an equaliser, and coming very close on several occasions. And then...with less than a minute to go... I lost the signal completely! It was some time later before I got confirmation that The 'Well had scraped through to the next round.
And now... the reward is a game against my old team of Greenock Morton. Having been born in the town of Port Glasgow next door to Greenock, Morton were the team I supported as a child, until we moved to Lanarkshire when I was 11. I always like to hear how they are getting on, especially as a local Carluke boy, Stewart Greacan (nephew of Tommy Gemmill) plays in central defence for the Cappielow side. This time, however, I will be hoping Morton have a bad day! Unfortunately, if it is played on the Saturday this is yet another game I am likely to miss as it will coincide with the world premiere of our church panto (more of which at a later date.)

No comments: