Tuesday, July 31, 2007

There was a crooked man...


A little postscript to my last post...
(And for a few excruciating moments I thought it was the last post...)
I spoke about this beautiful 17th century house with its low ceilings, but a few days ago it wouldn't have mattered had the ceiling only been 3 feet above the floor. That's because I was on my hands and knees, in considerable agony, unable to straighten out my back.
I had "slipped a disk."
It has happened to me once before and I can say it is not my idea of fun.
For the first couple of days I could only shuffle slowly, hunch-backed, a few yards at a time looking like a man of 85 and feeling like a man of 90. (Well, I have to imagine that since I've no idea yet what it might feel like to be 90, and, of course, I may never know.)
Thankfully I have been improving steadily and once again look more like a specimen of homo sapiens than neanderthal man. (i.e. my knuckles are no longer dragging along the floor.)
But, hey! Every cloud has a silver lining.
It has meant that I have been able to indulge in a binge.
NOT binge drinking (the dubious 'pleasures' of which I've never really understood and which would not have mixed well with the painkillers) but binge reading.
I read five books in four days, including two books introduced to me by Emma- 'Blue Like Jazz' and 'Searching for God Knows What' - both by Don Miller. I hadn't read any of his stuff before but I'm glad now that I have.
Can't say I agreed with everything. Come to think of it when I look back I don't agree with everything I've ever said myself! But both of these books are definitely worth reading. I especially like Miller's emphasis on the importance of story.
The way I see it words create worlds.
It's no surprise to me that the Biblical creation story begins with God speaking and bringing things into being with His word.
Sadly we human beings are probably more skilled at using words to tear down and destroy than we are at using them to create. But it remains true that in the hands of a skillful writer words create worlds.
I'm on my sixth book at the moment. (Each has created its own new and unique world for me.)
I have to say that the latest Harry Potter book is not featured in my binge, but I know that one of the reasons for the success of that particular series has been the ability of J.K. Rowling to create a world of characters and places and events that many children (and many adults) have been able to enter into.
Yep, words create worlds...
but I'll not say what word, if any, passed my lips as my back went out of joint and I slumped to the floor... :-)

9 comments:

Shony said...

Sorry to hear about your back :-(
Did you get a different perspective looking at the floor and not being able to straighten up? I only ask as a while ago now I woke one morning and could not get out of my bed with the best will in the world and eventually once I did I could barely lift my head up straight without being sick. Was not a pleasant experience viewing the world and my surroundings from this view point. You missed out on what was happening around you the little things you can observe when able to look around you such as a plane or bird in the sky. Anyways pain is never good so I hope you are fully mended soon :-)

Shona x

E.Louise said...

I didn't agree with everything Donald Miller said either, but I think I liked the books more for that. I just bought 'Pilgrim at Tinker Creek' by Annie Dillard, which I'm led to believe is also about story.
Have you read Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy? Great story there.
Hope your back gets better soon!

liz crumlish said...

Iain, good to know you're recovering and thanks for posting about books you're reading. I'm always looking for ideas of where to foray next. I'll check those out.

Cherie said...

Oh, Iain, so sorry to hear about your slipped disc. Ouch. Glad you are on the mends, and that you are finding some good reading as you do so.

ailsa said...

I heard a story about a woman who was all bent over just last week and it was interesting to hear about life from her perspective - only ever being able to see up to another person's shins! Glad to hear you are getting better. I don't imagine th drive home would be too pleasant otherwise!

(I have read the lastest harry potter and I have to agree that Rowling certainly has a talent for drawing readers into another world!)

ailsa xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi iain
have just been trying to e-mail you but having difficulties with my server- glad I didn't get the message through on this occasion because I was just saying how much you must have enjoyed your break- should have checked your blog first.
hope you're on the mend now
will contact you from the office tomorrow where hopefully the technology will be more obedient than this kit here at home
Love
anne ( sis)

Kerron said...

I don't know, it seems most "boy racers" like to lie nearly flat on the floor whilst driving round in their suped up monstrosities.*


(*Having just read that again, there is every possibility I have turned into my own grandfather! :-/)

Anonymous said...

You wrote on July 31st, it's now August 17, I hope you're up and feeling like yourself again. If not then I hope you heal very quickly as patience must be testing you.

E.Louise said...

hi Ian, hope you'll post again soon - could you do me a favour? Could you replace my full name with just 'Emma' in your blog post? Cheers :)