Monday, August 20, 2007

Here today.. gone in an instant


Where have I been these last few weeks?
I wish I could say that I have been visiting exotic locations, soaking up the sun, enjoying extended leisure time etc. etc. but unfortunately that is not the case. My absence from the 'blogosphere' is the result of a number of much less enjoyable experiences conspiring together. First of all there was the back injury while on holiday which meant sitting at a computer was not an attractive proposition for me. Then on returning to work I became extremely busy with a couple of 'out of the ordinary' ventures being planned - Nexus (which you can read about here) and the forthcoming visit of nine people from South Korea to Scotland to establish a 'Presbytery partnership' (and I am responsible for organising the 10-day visit.) And, just in case these events proved too stress-free... last week my computer network had a catastrophic failure. And I mean catastrophic. :-(
(I'd rather not talk about it too much , if you don't mind, except to say that - although I thought my system had been routinely making automatic backups I am now minus just about every bit of data that I created in the last 18 months!! ouch! )
The picture above is of an extremely well-preserved Roman mosaic in the museum at Verulamium (St. Alban's) in Hertfordshire, a place we visited while on holiday. It's a neat irony, though also a slightly painful one for me, to realise that this mosaic is nearly as fresh and complete now as it was when it was made in 150AD while my computer data (i.e. a lot of my work) managed to evaporate in a fraction of a second never to be seen again. Oh, I know you can go in for all sorts of expensive data recovery procedures (I've done it in the past) but the simple truth of the matter is that, however inconvenient to me, nothing that I have lost will really be missed by anyone other than me. Ah well. C'est la vie.
But enough complaining. I thought that I'd better get round to 'blogging' something before my most loyal readers (both of you) stopped visiting the blog altogether.
Actually, it amazes me that since I started this series of assorted ramblings and musings nearly a year ago, I've had (apparently) something like 11,800 'visits' - not exactly massive by internet standards, but surprising to me.
I'm only sorry that a lot of the time I haven't had anything interesting to say. (Of course, being a preacher...that has never got in the way of me saying it anyway.)
Keep visiting, though... one of these days it may be worth it.

5 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Hey, missed you. Knew you'd be swamped preparing for Nexus but sorry to hear about your other problems.

lynntie said...

Glad you're back.I missed having something to read with my cup of tea in the morning.x

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi Lynn - "Tea and blogposts" - sounds better than "Tea and biscuits." I'll try to keep the supply going. :-)

Cherie said...

I, too, missed you, and feared the worst for you and your back.

Glad you are back! (Pun intended.)

Sorry to learn that you've suffered the heartbreak of losing 18 months of computer data. Bummer. Alas, you are much more than your data. You'll live.

You've had a LOT of blog hits. Such a celeb!

Onward and upward!

Kerron said...

Always good to see a new blog post. St Albans is just round the corner from us - and I have to say, it is always weird playing football amongst the ruins of Verulamium!