Thursday, July 05, 2007

Too much of a good thing?


On the basis that you can never have too much of a good thing (though sometimes that may be a questionable assumption - see below*) here is another little dose of Islay serenity. This is Port Charlotte with the evening sun dropping down behind.

The food at the Port Charlotte Hotel was pretty good, even the bar meals. I had a delicious sea bream one night, cooked to perfection. However, getting a table is difficult on evenings when there is live music and you really ought to make a reservation in advance, but if the staff can squeeze you in they will.



*The bar offers 143 very fine malt whiskies at prices ranging from under £5 to over £70 a shot. Needless to say I was not able to assess the full range on offer. This may be one instance when you could easily get too much of a good thing!

Most important of all the staff are very friendly, especially the owners, Grahame and Isabelle.
I had a good chat with one of the barmen, Alan, a Yorkshire man who had come to love Islay and its people so much that he decided to go and live there permanently. (not the man in the picture by the way)


Don't worry: I'm not going to post all of my 'holiday snaps.' (I took about 500 in 4 days.) But I'll probably share a couple more over the next few days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like Grahame behind the bar ;-)

And I see you enjoyed the treat of listening to music by Rebecca Brown (and presumably her father) and their friends. They are brilliant, I always enjoy listening to them playing.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

It is indeed Grahame, but I didn't want to say

Anonymous said...

You could never get too much of a good thing Iain. Especially scenery as beautiful as that in your lovely photographs. We have never been to Islay yet, but these make us want to go there. Skye and Arran are also beautiful islands.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Yes, Jean, all the islands off the west coast are wonderful. Until last weekend my favourite had been Mull but I think Islay may have pushed it into second spot. Mind you, there are a few more I have to visit yet.

Cherie said...

Lovely.

Never too much of a good thing - just may need to spread it out a bit, huh.....

Great pics!