Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Long live the King


It seems no one has told the Post Office on Islay that we have a 'new' monarch.
Only since 1952, of course.
So it might be considered a little rash and hasty to have replaced all of the post boxes so soon. Oh, in case, any of my non-British readers haven't a clue what I'm talking about, have a look at the photo above of a post box on the wall of Laphraoig Distillery on Islay.
Above the opening for "Letters Only" you will see GVIR which refers to the late (some might say very late) King George 6th.

I suppose one generous way of looking at this is to see it as a refreshing alternative to what normally happens when Government Departments are restructured leading to a complete and costly corporate-image makeover.
I guess the philosophy is that if it is still working - why replace it?
Perhaps we need a little bit more of this sort of thinking. It might mean that we produce much less waste and pollution. Sadly, I fear the concept of 'planned obsolescence' is too deeply ingrained into our psyche in the Western world.

However, on the subject of post boxes, and UNplanned obsolescence...
I have recently chuckled my way through Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Big Country"
In one of the sections he lists various examples of stupidity and the seemingly inane advice that is often printed on American products (such as instructions on an electric iron not to use it in conjunction with explosive materials.)
But I'll let him tell you the rest in his own inimitably humorous style:

"Until a few days ago my instinct would have been to chortle richly at people who need this sort of elemental guidance, but then three things happened that made me modify my views.
First, I read in the paper how John Smoltz, a pitcher for the Atlanta Braves baseball team, showed up at a training session one day with a painful-looking red welt across his chest and, when pressed for an explanation, sheepishly admitted that he had tried to iron the shirt while he was wearing it.
Second, it occurred to me that although I have never done anything quite so foolish as that, it was only because I had not thought of it.
Third, and perhaps most conclusively, two nights ago I went out to run two small errands - specifically, to buy some pipe tobacco and post some letters. I bought the tobacco, carried it straight across the street to a Post Office letter box, opened the lid, and deposited it. I won't tell you how far I walked before it dawned on me that this was not a 100 per cent correct execution of my original plans.
You see my problem. People who need labels on pillarboxes saying 'Not for Deposit of Tobacco or Other Personal items' can't very well smirk at others, even those who iron their chests or have to seek lathering guidance from a shampoo hotline."
[Bill Bryson: Notes from a Big Country, 1999]

So here's a challenge to you, and your willingness to confess your own stupidity...what's the most bizarre thing you have ever accidentally dropped into a post box?

PS. Looks like the Islay post box may not have been cleaned much since the days of King George either.

18 comments:

Shony said...

Hi Iain.

As of yet I have only posted letters in the post box! I say as of yet because the way my brain is of late I could quite easily post some other important item without meaning to. Sounds a good book to be reading it is good to laugh. btw I like your photo you have put in your blog is better than your last one :-)
Shona x

E.Louise said...

For a split second I thought that was snow around the post box.
I too have only posted letters, but once I posted a letter to the UK from France without putting the country name. Fortunately I posted it in a very shallow French post box and so a bic biro and some sellotape later, it was retrieved. (This was after my initial unsuccessful idea of trying to hold a pen inside the box and write on the letter while it was still in the box.)

Cherie said...

I was 13, visiting my aunt, in a quaint little town where the mailboxes were unique, looking like trash cans to me. Didn't want the second half of my drippy ice cream cone from Dairy Queen. Tossed it in! Didn't know until the next day that I'd fouled the United States Mail!

They never caught me!

**blush**

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Addressing the MAIL after you've posted it! Brilliant. Wish I'd been able to see that, Emma. It's a bit worrying, though, that the security of the French mail can't even stand up to a biro and a piece of sellotape. Full marks to you for ingenuity. As I've said before - I like improvisation.
(Btw, you've not blogged yourself for a while. I keep looking for some new posts from you. You must be too busy doing real work.)

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Cherie - imagine posting that DQ without putting an address on it!
So far, you are winning the competition. :-)

islayian said...

Iain
There's nothing wrong with being behind the times. The trick is knowing which times to keep up with ;-)

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi there, Islayian. I am with you 100% on this. As you say, the trick is knowing what to keep and what to change.
Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comment. Will return the compliment when I get the chance.

iTalker said...

Hi Iain,
Its amazing the things that get posted without the proper address as louise mentioned. I once visited the Billy Graham head quarters in Minneapolis. In the staff canteen there was a notice board with letters addressed to BG from all around the world. One envelope had no address, simply the face of BG cut out of a newspaper and stuck on it. Not many people in the world could receive their mail with their face as their address.

iTalker said...

PS Glad you had a good holiday.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi Albert, maybe I should try to put a photo of yourself and the word Bo'ness on an envelope and see if it is delivered. Would be interesting. Sadly, I don't think our mail is as good as it used to be in that regard.

Kerron said...

Your new profile picture makes you look like you have a halo!

Either that or you are wearing some kind of Druidic robe. ;-)

PS Have I just invented the word "Druidic"?

Unknown said...

>maybe I should try to put a photo of yourself and the word Bo'ness on an envelope and see if it is delivered

You know something? I wouldn't be surprised if it made it.

.neilmac

E.Louise said...

I agree, you do look druidic in your picture.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Aaagh. I am not a druid! Maybe I better change the picture again. By the way, Emma, thanks for the info about the "Everything Must Change" tour. I am seriously wondering if I might be able to manage the Florida event.

E.Louise said...

If it gets boring you can always go to Disneyland :) I plan to write soon about 'Blue Like Jazz' by Donald Miller that I just read - 'emerging church' writer - have you read it?

Anonymous said...

Once in Aruba, I thought I was mailing a post card. Turns out it never arrived, I think it may have been some sort of laundry shoot. I thought if it wasn't a mailbox they would at least put it in one. Fat chance. They should have had a sign, no letters, just laundry.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Nice one, Sandy. At least it probably came out clean. :-)

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Haven't read that book you mention, Emma. Sounds interesting and I look forward to hearing what you say about it. If I do manage to get to Florida for the conference I will probably spend the rest of the time with friends there rather than visit Disneyworld again. I might be tempted to go back to the Space Centre though.