Friday, June 08, 2007

More fish and ships


Now, I don't want this to turn into a cookery blog! But, after receiving a few comments from various people about the story of the whale, I feel it is necessary to offer a little basic culinary advice, for it is clear that not everyone quite got the point about the pasta.
First of all, I concede that you do indeed normally cook pasta in water.
Boiling water!
What you do NOT do is "soak" the pasta in cold water for about three hours! (Which is what happened in the incident recalled.) If you do, you end up with flour and water paste.
Not very appetising, though (as I have demonstrated) occasionally useful.
Secondly, it was this flour and water paste that was used, along with torn up newspapers, to make papier mache, which gave the whale some 'body'. We did not (as some people seem to have thought) glue pieces of pasta to the cardboard. That kind of activity is best left to playgroups and nurseries.
I'm sorry to have to spell things out like this but it is one of the hazards faced by all of us engaged in the business of communication that sometimes the wires get crossed and what you think you said is not what some people thought you said. Ask any preacher.

5 comments:

Shony said...

Hi Iain

Be reassured some of us knew what you meant with regard to your creation of the whale. As to your preaching I get that most of the time to although I do remember a conversation with you where the message I picked out of your sermon was not the one you thought you had given. Ofcourse that is not always the fault of the communicator, sometimes we hear what we want to hear and sometimes although I could be wrong I think just maybe we hear God talking to us on these occasions :-)

Shona x

liz crumlish said...

Iaian,
thanks for explaining to numpties like me :)

Kerron said...

I say, did you say what we thought you said, or did you say that you said something else. Either way it's worth saying.

You just need to be clearer in what you say, I say. Hey, what do you say?

PS Linsay and Heather are having fun, they are off seeing Les Mis at the mo. Went to Chinatown last night with some of the Care Bears. :-)

Cherie said...

You are one of the top 100 Scottish Websites, I see.

Most excellent, Iain! You deserve it.

My daughters got a kick out of your penne pasta fish!

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

As long as they don't have to eat that one, Cherie!