Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Alternative Viewpoint


Whenever I have a camera with me I try to find more unusual angles from which to view things. It's not always possible and often the results just don't work. They just turn out weird.
But I was pleased with this one, taken a couple of years ago in Hong Kong.
We were at a concert hall, about to go in to hear a rather brilliant American clarinet player, whose name I've completely forgotten. In the foyer of the theatre was a cafe/bar, so we decided to have a drink while waiting to go in.
I noticed that the ceiling was a little bit unusual - being covered in mirror tiles. So I discreetly placed my compact camera on the table and snapped to produce this picture of ourselves as if seen from above. I suppose you could say that was weird too, but I think it works.
It was our great Scottish poet, Robert Burns who once wrote:
"oh wud some power the giftie gie us tae see ourselves as ithers see us"
[which, for those who don't quite understand Scots means something like 'wouldn't it be good if some higher power gave us the ability to see ourselves the way other people see us' - though I think the way Burns put it was much more succinct and much more memorable :-) not to mention quite a bit more poetic! ]
Perhaps even more useful than the ability to see ourselves as others see us might be the ability to see ourselves as God sees us. I reckon we'd all get a bit of a surprise seeing things from that angle!

By the way, talking of concerts... I have just come back from an amazing gig which was part of the Glasgow Jazz Festival. I'll write about it later, once I've let the experience seep in to my soul a bit more.

5 comments:

Cherie said...

"Perhaps even more useful than the ability to see ourselves as others see us might be the ability to see ourselves as God sees us. I reckon we'd all get a bit of a surprise seeing things from that angle!"

So true. I think we'd all get a bit of the Isaiah - woe is me for I am undone!

You are so clever to take that picture the way you did. Good mind, Iain, and marvelous photo!

Richard Havers said...

Great shot!

Kerron said...

Is that Linsay or Heather?

We thought it was Heather, but Linsay has just identified herself via the bag next to her.

The words "what's Heather doing with my bag?...Oh hang on, it's me!" were quite amusing, on reflection.

If you'll pardon the pun!

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Well, Linsay should know that Heather was never in Hong Kong. :-)

Kerron said...

Good point. :-)