Friday, June 22, 2007

Come on let's celebrate...

From a wedding... to a graduation...
I'll take any excuse to celebrate... especially if it involves eating lots of good food.
And I got my chance to eat too much again last night as we celebrated the graduation of one of our daughters.
You've no idea how much I like the fact that celebrating and eating so often go together. Like they were made for each other.
Last night to mark Ailsa's graduation we visited our favourite local restaurant. Prego's. Unfortunately it is not as local as we would like it to be, and as we had hoped it would be by this time. Some unforeseen building snags have delayed the opening of the Carluke restaurant, but it didn't stop us enjoying once more the friendly atmosphere and good food I have mentioned before. In fact, I have mentioned Prego's often enough online that maybe I should be asking for a discount on our next visit...
I draw some comfort from the fact that Jesus himself was accused of doing too much celebrating, and especially of enjoying eating and drinking far too much... for his own good. The religious people of his day reckoned Jesus ought to be much more sombre, much more serious, and much more sober... in fact, much more like themselves.
Funny how we always seem to want everyone else to be like us, isn't it?
A pity too because it's the sheer variety of life that makes it so interesting.
Actually, I suspect the Pharisees were really closet Presbyterians, or Puritans, who in the words of H.L. Mencken lived with the "haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
Life's too short not to let yourself be happy now and again, is it not?

5 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Congratulations to Ailsa. And I agree, you're much too frivolous to be a proper presbyterian. :)

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

I imagine Oscar Wilde would have considered the description of himself as 'frivolous' to be a major compliment. That is certainly how I intend to understand it. :-)

liz crumlish said...

Iain, that was of course precisely how it was meant.

Cherie said...

Add my congrats to your lovely daughter! Hip hip hooray!

And, oh my, that quote - "haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." - mercy me, sounds absolutely dreadful to think in such a way.

Your post was brilliant! Way to go! And you can never mention Prego too much - a wonderful place, by your description.

Happiness to all on this, yet another joyous occasion!

Kerron said...

Well done Ailsa - you'll have to get back to blogging now! :-)