Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The map re-drawn...Motherwell now in Europe!


Tomorrow night the focus of many in the footballing world will be on Manchester for the UEFA Cup Final. Though it is not my team I will certainly be a Rangers supporter for the night.
But I was celebrating another achievement on Sunday... Motherwell FC (the team I do support) qualified for a place in Europe [not that Motherwell, the town, wasn't already in Europe, you understand... but you do have to use the right jargon... come to think of it, I should have said 'Motherwell got into Europe!' followed, probably, by something like 'the boys done well.']
Actually, the 'Well did very well, considering the trauma that the club went through at the end of last year. Much of the credit for that must go to our manager, Mark McGhee, but on Saturday, at least, some of it went to local Carluke teenager, Darren Smith, who got us on the way with the opening goal.
Pity he got so carried away with his goal celebrations that he took off his shirt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pity? Some of us can appreciate a fit young man with his top off!

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

I'm sure you do - but unfortunately for Darren it's an automatic booking from the Referee

Anonymous said...

Being only an occasional viewer of football I think the refs should give bookings for many things other than removing your shirt in celebration..........like spitting, swearing, having silly haircuts, etc.

Anonymous said...

I Wouldn't mind seeing him without his top on again :)