Monday, May 05, 2008

Anke dje, anke be

I know! I know! I've had far too long a break from blogging... and by now I am bound to have lost all of my readers. So, no doubt I am now just talking to myself.
But - hey - I'm a preacher, I can handle that! Plenty of experience.

Talking of preachers...I've just met and also listened to the preaching of the Archbishop of York, John Sentamu.
Now there is someone who is surely never going to be short of listeners!

I have just returned from the Church Without Walls National Gathering in Edinburgh, and what an inspiring and refreshing experience it was. I'll say more about it in future posts, because this was one occasion when the camera was working overtime, but for the moment I just want to mention what a privilege it was to be in the hall with about 3,500 others, listening to the Archbishop delivering a message that was thoughtful and thought-provoking, careful and challenging, but also at times very moving and at times very funny.
For example...
"Are you the kind of person who, when he wakens up, says, 'Good morning, God!' or the kind that says 'Good God it's morning!'"

What I liked most about John Sentamu (and it was true not just of his preaching, but also of his one-to-one conversations) was his authenticity.
He is, quite simply, a man filled with genuine enthusiasm-and it makes him such an easy person to have a conversation with because he is truly interested in the person he is talking to. That's an example definitely worth following.

Oh... and he knows how to have fun too...

Towards the end of the worship service he got hold of a djembe and joined Jane Bentley in leading the singing with some enthusiastic drumming.

It's interesting to me that, according to the Wikipedia definition of a djembe* [and who would ever doubt Wikipedia? :-) ] the purpose of the djembe is to gather people together to hear some news or to celebrate... exactly what the National Gathering itself was all about.

* "According to the Bamana people in Mali, the name of the djembe comes directly from the saying "Anke dje, anke be" which literally translates to "everyone gather together", and defines the drum's purpose. "Dje" is the verb for "gather" in Bamanakan, and "be" translates as "everyone" in Bamanakan.

6 comments:

AnneDroid said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Yours is cool. Jim S. says "hello".
Ax

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks for dropping by MY blog, annedroid. :-) I'm not sure who Jim S. is might be, though clearly I must known him. (There are a number of people I know who might fit the bill.) At any rate please pass on a reciprocal "hello" from me.

L said...

Welcome back :)

AnneDroid said...

Oh sorry. Jim S is Jim Stewart, my better half, who is minister of Letham St Mark's in Perth, and says he knows you!

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks, Lindsay. Glad you haven't deserted me. :-) Hope you are well.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks for the clarification, annedroid! :-)