Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Late for lunch


This is where I should have had lunch on Wednesday!
Holyrood Palace, one of the Queen's official royal residences in Scotland and home to the Lord High Commissioner and his retinue during the General Assembly.
(The photograph is not mine but from T Stadler's Flickr site. You will maybe understand why in a moment.)
To set this in some context I should explain that I am very much a last-minute sort of person (at least in terms of preparing for talks, sermons, speeches, meetings etc.) but, paradoxically, I absolutely hate being late for a meeting or other event. In fact, I will often arrive far too early for an event rather than be caught out by heavier than usual traffic or by some other unforeseen delay.
So imagine my frustration on Wednesday when we were too late for lunch.
Originally we had been invited to the palace on the Sunday but I had to point out that, since I am a Parish minister, Sunday was a working day for me and I couldn’t manage.
The palace very kindly issued another invitation for the Wednesday—the last day of the Assembly.
Although not a Commissioner at the General Assembly I was due to present the report of the Nomination Committee, of which I was convener. I had, of course, prepared the report at the very last minute the night before.
In the event, some of the reports before mine provoked lengthy debate and so went beyond their allocated time. By the time I stood up to speak I was already supposed to be at Holyrood and the palace had already phoned to ask where I had got to.
So we were too late and couldn’t go the palace after all.
However, the Moderator, Rev. David Lunan and his wife, Maggie, whom we have known for many years, invited us to have lunch with them instead. And a very nice lunch it was too!
(I have been reliably informed that we probably would not have been so well fed at the palace ...but I couldn’t possibly comment.)

4 comments:

Kerron said...

I empathise with you on the whole missing out on Holyrood due to something outside your control! ;-)

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Point taken - though it was the other side of the road!

Kerron said...

:-)

In other news, have you seen the Times article about Gavin Peacock leaving the BBC for God?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article4009538.ece

Best line:

"Peacock will become a pastor, vicar or minister, depending on which denomination he chooses to follow."

Don't you normally pick the religion before you train for it?

Muscles said...

I feel your pain, fellow tardanian!