Saturday, February 02, 2008

It's snow good


Earlier this afternoon we had our first proper snowfall of the year - though not much and not for long.
I know there has been some significant snow in other parts of the country but each time it seems to have by-passed Carluke, much to the annoyance of my youngest daughter.
Well, this afternoon the snow DID fall, though (as I said) it didn't hang around for very long but it loitered enough to (temporarily) make my garden almost tidy enough to look at. That's one thing I like about the snow.
Am I the only one who thinks this... (or am I looking back with white-tinted spectacles?) but didn't we used to get quite a lot of snow in winter time in Scotland? And did it not sometimes hang around for weeks on end?
It's not difficult to convince anyone in this part of the world that global warming is a reality (of course, not in summer time: only in winter!)
Snows no' what it used to be when it used to snow.
The other thing that seems strange to me is that the less snow we have in this part of the world, the more problems it seems to cause, or at least people seem to have more difficulty in coping with it when it does appear, especially with respect to transport. Why is that, for goodness sake?

2 comments:

Alice said...

You should have seen my garden!

Cherie said...

Perhaps it is that your Scottish snow became lost en route which gave us our rare and lovely snowy winter.