Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It's snow bad!


Sorry I've been away from the blog for the last week. I was visiting some friends who, it just so happens, live in Central Florida. Now I know what you are thinking: - why one earth would anyone want to forsake the rain and snow and frost of a Scottish February for sunny blue skies and temperatures reaching into the 80's?
I know it is inexplicable. But there you go.
When I left Edinburgh Airport last Tuesday morning it was about 7 deg Centigrade (i.e. 45 Fahrenheit.) When I arrived in Orlando just after 7pm it was 29 Centigrade (84 Fahrenheit.)
But, of course, I wasn't there for the weather... so there's no need for any of you to feel jealous.
Mind you, what I did enjoy were the sunrises. The photo above was taken at the Indian River one morning last week just after 7am.
The tranquillity of these mornings was truly therapeutic. And so too was the opportunity to catch up on long-lasting and ever meaningful friendships.
The American friends I am talking about are a retired minister and his wife, whom I have known for the last 34 years.
My friend, who is now in his 80's (years this time, not degrees!) was preaching on Sunday at the church where he had been minister for many years and which was now celebrating its 50th Anniversary. During his sermon he spoke about a number of people who had been a great influence in shaping his own life and Christian faith; people who had somehow passed on the love of God from their experience to him.
As he spoke I felt that I was part of a very long chain going right back to the command of Jesus to his disciples that they should love one another, and the following idea formed in my head:
The true apostolic succession is the passing of the love of Christ from one generation to the next.
Some journeys are definitely worth making.

4 comments:

Cherie said...

Sounds like a perfect trip all the way around. The photo - gorgeous, as always.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi Cherie, the trip was just a little bit short, that's all - but there were a few good photo opportunities so I'll have some material for future blog entries. (I need to get back to some regular writing.)

liz crumlish said...

"The true apostolic succession is the passing of the love of Christ from one generation to the next."
Iain, I love that and it puts lots of things in perspective. Look forward to sharing in all the other benefits and wisdom afforded by your trip.
blessings

Alice said...

Ah...Hannah wondered where you were!