Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Painted Veil


My camera has been having a bit of a rest lately - which also means I've had nothing to say on the blog for nearly two weeks!
Well, on the basis that a picture is worth a thousand words I would have had to have written an awful lot of words to make up for the lack of pictures. In fact the two real reasons for not writing much lately are
1. I've had nothing to say (I know... it hasn't stopped me before)
2. I've been pretty busy doing some real work, including three funerals in a week. (It happens like this some times)
I did have some time on Monday, however, to watch a movie on DVD - "The Painted Veil."
I really enjoyed it and would enthusiastically recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good story well told. (It's the third film version of the story by W. Somerset Maugham.)
I enjoyed it mainly because of the sumptious cinematography that captures magnificently both beauty and ugliness, but also because of excellent performances from Naomi Watts and Edward Norton (pictured above.)
One of my favourite lines in the movie, however, is delivered by Diana Rigg, playing the part of a nun. She says: "When love and duty are one, then grace is within you."
In these days when plot and action and special effects seem to be the all important ingredients there are far too few films that take the time to show character development and even transformation. But this is one of the few.
If you haven't seen it yet - take a trip to the video library. It's worth a look.

5 comments:

liz crumlish said...

"When love and duty are one, then grace is within you."
Iain, that's so profound - I'm going to carry that around for a while and see where it takes me.
thanks
liz x

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Aye - and make sure you watch the film too! But keep some tissues handy if you do.

Anonymous said...

how about a new picture, am bored of this one!

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

You are right 'anonymous' but I've been too busy with other things lately. I'll have to get the camerta out again.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Of course I meant 'camera'