Saturday, October 06, 2007

Keeping in touch

I know... I haven't blogged anything for ages.
But I have a good excuse, or at least an explanation. I spent last week in one of my favourite places in all the world (outside Scotland that is) - namely Venice. It was a treat for my second youngest daughter who recently graduated and who had not, until then, ever seen Venice, or any other part of Italy.
I've blogged before about why I find this place so special, particularly when it comes to taking photographs. It is always good, however, to see even the most familiar of places through the eyes of someone who has never seen the place before. (It was also good for me that Ailsa, like myself, enjoys a good espresso!!)
One of the things I like most about Venice, and which, in many respects sets it apart from so many other cities of the world, is that on one level it never seems to change. Not many new buildings here.
And yet... it is always different. The shifting light reflecting on the water sees to that. And there is always some little back alley that you haven't been lost in before.
In addition, because in some ways the backdrop stays more or less the same, you can pay more attention to the little details.
If you look closely at the photo above you might just spot one of those details...
No?
Take a closer look at the gondolier.
He is not just resting his chin on his hand: he is talking on his mobile phone. Nothing unusual about that these days, I suppose, but there is a certain incongruity between this ubiquitous 21st century accessory and the 18th century mode of transport, not to mention his outfit.
The only time I've seen something like this yet even more incongruous was in the Masai Mara when I spotted a Masia nomadic herdsman walking barefoot with his cattle in traditional Masia dress with a mobile phone clipped on to his belt. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera at the ready that time.
How did we ever manage in the old days without our mobile phones?

4 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Iain, stunning picture. Glad you were in one of your fav places.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Got lots more pictures too. I'll have to post a few more, even though I may not have much to say about them. But I guess a picture's worth a thousand words...

Cherie said...

Delicious photo!

E.Louise said...

I've never been to Italy either - one day! (PS Found the comment :)