Sunday, February 04, 2007

Good news and bad news


Well, what do you want to hear first: the good news? or the bad news?
The good news was that the pantomime was a great success. A sell-out both nights and two lively, up-for-it, audiences (although I have to say that Friday night's audience was a little bit quicker at getting the jokes! On Saturday the cast had to work a bit harder to get the gags across.)
Talking of the cast... that was the bad news.
My daughter, Ailsa, was due to play the lead role of Jack - a part with quite a lot of lines to learn including a one and a half-page monologue at the start. Being the central character in the story it was a rather important role.
Unfortunately, in the early hours of Thursday morning Ailsa took ill. So ill that she had to be taken by ambulance to hospital. I am happy to say that she is now making an excellent recovery. However... we were left on Thursday with a real dilemma as there was no understudy for the part. (OK - bad planning, I know...)
We felt desperately sorry for Ailsa who had put so much work and practice into preparing for the show, not just in the lead role but also as choreographer and even helping to direct a couple of rehearsals. But since she couldn't even stand up on Thursday, treading the boards on Friday was just out of the question.
So we looked at the various alternative options:
Cancel. Hard to do when we had sold nearly 500 tickets.
Postpone. But for how long? And the set had already been built and was in place. Could we get everybody together again for some future date...?
What if I, or my wife, Dawn, played the part? (Em...No - don't think so...)
ENTER our youngest daughter, Heather!
She volunteered to have a go, even though she had spent the previous week complaining that she didn't even like panto and hadn't even read the script, never mind attend a rehearsal.
And so, with just one day to learn the 40-page script and no time to get the cast together for a full rehearsal, Heather took on the challenge. Now, no doubt I am biased, but I thought she was brilliant. I have no idea how she managed to learn the part in less than 24 hours and then carry it off with such confidence. It was fantastic.
Actually, everyone who took part did a brilliant job, including many who had never acted in their lives before.
Even the beanstalk rose majestically and magically to its full 4.5 metres... although half an hour before the show opened I spotted some fraying on the pulling wire and we had to get the ladder out and fit a second wire just in case.
Of course there were some minor mistakes (mainly technical... and mainly my own responsibility) but all in all it was a fantastic effort from everyone concerned.
Oh, and the picture, by the way, is of the "giant's" mask - magnificently crafted by Rhoda Baxter.
Let me quote from the script:
Jack Mum, that was only some of it! There’s a whole load of treasure up there. But there is something really scary up there as well. That’s why I ran. …..It was huge with bulging staring eyes, and spiky hair, and it had hair all over it’s face like a straggly beard, I bet it had a big fat belly and flat feet too.

Mum You mean just like the minister!

Jack Just like him, but huger!
Maybe you can see the resemblance yourself?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather did brilliantly,standing in at the last minute,how brave of her.Everyone did a superb joband Linda Boyle was extremely funny.I hope Ailsa is feeling better.

Love Lynn B

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks for your comments, Lynn. Ailsa is feeling very much better.
Glad you enjoyed the show.

Paper Dreams, Honey. said...

Panto was class, I really enjoyed myself.Couldn't keep the smile off my face!

As soon as I heard it was Heather taking over the role of Jack, I knew we'd have no problems! Its Heather! She was a brilliant last minute replacement, and I don't know how she managed to remember all those lines in ONE day. It wouldn't have been me.

Now lets just hope Ailsa is on the mend soon.

h xx

Paper Dreams, Honey. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paper Dreams, Honey. said...

p.s I really liked that last hymn tonight! Really good, I should come to evening services more often, if only I wasn't so tired by the time evening comes :)

Anonymous said...

well done everyone!

I knew you guys would pull it off...

please can we have a video sent down as soon as poss - dying to know the end of the story!!

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Hi Linsay. Working just now on photos taken during rehearsals and backstage. Not sure how well the video turned out and it will require a bit of editing but we'll see what we can do.

Muscles said...

Iain, what a fantastic experience for both audience and participants. I think that Heather deserves a BAFTA, a Nobel Prize, and an ACE Pupil sticker for being such a star at short notice.

Hope you didn't lose too much sleep in making this such a success.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Thanks "muscles" :-)