Friday, August 25, 2006

STEREO VISION


What's this 'thing' I have about reflections?
Why do I find photographs of reflections so interesting? (like this one I took in Hong Kong last year)
I've been thinking about this and the only sensible explanation I can come up with is this: reflections remind me that in the real world there's usually more than one way of seeing things. They usually give us at least two ways of seeing something at the same time.
I reckon all the best art encourages us to see things from a different angle or in a different light. Reflections do this for me in a slightly more mundane way.

Recently I've been reading "The Owl and the Stereo" by David Osborne. It seems to make the same kind of point. The way our world is just now, becoming increasingly polarised and divided, we could do with a bit more 'stereo-vision' don't you think?

No comments: