Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Reflections on reflections

Since I called this blog "Random Reflections" I thought one thing I might do occasionally would be to post a few random pictures of reflections I've photographed over the years.

My favourite place for taking such photographs has to be Venice. [This one was taken in 2004 on one of my visits to "La Serenissima" with my youngest daughter.]

Just looking at pictures like these makes me feel a sense of calm.

Why do you think we use that word "reflection" to refer to the act of thinking or contemplating quietly? Is it because that way of thinking/meditating involves you bouncing ideas from one part of your mind to another? I certainly seem to end up having conversations in my head when I do that, but then maybe that's just a tell-tale sign of the fact that I'm beginning to lose it!

All I know is that when you start to reflect on something, start to turn it over in your mind, the way you might turn over a pebble you picked up from the beach, you do begin to see it in a new way, whether it is an idea, a person, an event, a place.

I also like the idea that an object which reflects light is actually giving something back because contemplating (in spite of what some people might think) is not actually a selfish activity: it does lead you think a bit more carefully about what you're giving back to others.

I didn't mean to be quite so 'serious' here. I'm not a very serious person most of the time. But I guess that's what happens when you start to reflect on things.

Finally, on the subject of reflections, I had to laugh at this little clip. I know just how he felt!

No comments: