Monday, May 25, 2009

This is my body...

[A worm's eye view of grass?]

The photograph above has absolutely nothing whatever to do with this piece but I share it with you anyway. I took it thinking it might come in useful some time as a powerpoint background.

The other thing I want to share is prompted by recent debates in the Church of Scotland General Assembly. I don't want to say anything about the debates themselves but it reminded me of a short poem I wrote many, many years ago when I was a teenager.

This is my body

This is my body
That you break in two
By ignoring the one
In the neighbouring pew

This is my blood
That you spill down the drain
When you fight with each other
For personal gain

And each point of doctrine
You score here and now
Was a nail in my palm
Or a thorn in my brow

Each argument won
Is a brother lost 
So the principle’s saved
No matter the cost

This is my body
My hands and my feet
If only you’d bend
Perhaps they would meet

© Iain D. Cunningham

4 comments:

Danny said...

Thanks Iain if I had read this first... I wouldn't have written my own post simply linked on to yours.

Blessings
Dorothy

lynntie said...

I love that.

Gordon Kennedy said...

Iain, thanks for sharing this with us. One day his body will be whole and beautiful for his glory and praise.
Come Lord Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog, Iain.
I sent you a message on Facebook, saying that I had moved to St Andrew's, Dumbarton. The Church website is www.standrewsdumbarton.co.uk
If I hadn't moved from Irvine and Kilmarnock Presbytery, I think I would have been a Commissioner at the General Assembly.
Best wishes.
Charlie