Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Vine

I haven't had much time to blog of late and certainly no time to take any new photographs, but one thing I did last week was to write a new hymn.
Necessity, as ever, was the motivation. I simply couldn't find a suitable hymn to fit in with the sermon for this morning's worship- based on John 15: 1-17, so I ended up writing one of my own.
We sang it to the tune Garelochside but I suppose any suitable "Short Metre" tune would do.
Here are the words for anyone who might like to use them.
They are in the form of a prayer to Christ:

O Lord, you are the Vine.
In you we live and move.
Your Spirit nourishes our hearts
and fills us with your love.

As we remain in you
the life of grace takes root;
in caring service in your Name
our lives will bear much fruit.

In you our lives belong
as branches of the Vine;
through sharing faith and trust and hope,
Lord Jesus, make us one.

So others then may see
in this and every place
the glory of your Father shown
in reconciling grace.


© Iain D. Cunningham, 2009

4 comments:

Alice said...

Loved this hymn this morning :)

Cherie said...

Beautiful, Iain! And how grand that you wrote a new hymn. Refreshing.

Shony said...

Hi Iain

Your blog site has been un filtered again! So I can now read your blogs once again. Shona x

S. McClintock said...

Psalter 80:8-14 might have worked. But I don't know if you use the materials from the Free Church of Scotland.

When it comes to debates in presbytery, remember...It may have been said, but not by everybody.