Saturday, September 22, 2007

Worth waiting for


Some things are worth waiting for.
No - I am not talking about our uninvited arachnids! I am referring to our new local restaurant, Prego.
Some time ago I wrote about Prego in Lanark as one of our favourite eating places, and I was looking forward to the opening of a 'sister' restaurant here in Carluke. It should have been ready for business in late April/early May but various snags and delays in the construction meant that it only opened this week. However, as I said, some things are worth waiting for, and yesterday I was at Prego, Carluke, for the first time...
...and the second time.
I had lunch... then dinner.
The restaurant is decorated in the same style as the Lanark one. The main difference is one of size and space. There is room to breathe as well as eat in Carluke!!
The food is of the same quality, which is great. Last night I had the 'special' for the main course - large fillets of grilled halibut on a bed of fennel and a souffle of asparagus and ginger. Mmmm...
Definitely worth waiting for.
Vital though they are, decor and food are only part of the eating out experience. It's the attitude of staff that for me decides whether I will return another time. And I am happy to report that Prego in Carluke is every bit as welcoming as Prego in Lanark - because many of the staff from Lanark now work in Carluke.
We have been in some eating places where as customers/clients we got the impression that we were a necessary inconvenience. The staff knew vaguely that we had to be there for some reason but apparently wished we weren't.
And then there are places like Prego (too few of them) where you are made to feel "this is your place; you belong here, and we are here to make your stay enjoyable."
Sadly, you find the same variations of welcome in churches.
The other week someone told me about a visit their family had made to a church while on holiday. It was quite a big church but with very, very few worshippers. And so, almost all of the seats/pews were empty. The visiting family had a wide choice available to them and chose a row near but not quite at the back. Just as the service was about to begin someone entered the sanctuary and uttered the time-honoured words of Christian welcome: "Excuse me - that's my seat you're sitting in!"
You couldn't make this stuff up.
Sadly, you don't have to.
Here at Kirkton we try to make our church like Prego's...
...except for the food.
(although Crossroads cafe on a Monday and The Coffee Club on a Tuesday are a good start.)

4 comments:

a feckless boy said...

lunch and dinner ---gone yersel!!

have you considered the suasage option, Ian. We do them on a sunday morning, with free coffee, for about a £1. It works really well in making space for folks to chat (and also brings in a tidy wee sum as well).

Shony said...

I like Prego to so Carluke Prego will be on my list to visit soon.
Have to say I can highly recommend Crossraods cafe on a Monday at Kirkton to. Church can be so warm a place or very un welcoming. I guess the reason is that it is full of ordinary people who should know better but cant help being who they are. Sometimes it is a hard journey trying to be more Christ like. Maybe all churches need a John at the door who offers a smile a handshake and even a hug!

Carla said...

Hi Iain! It's late and I haven't had a chance to have a good read through your blog, but noticed your comment on mine and wanted to thank you for it and say "hi". :) I'll be stopping by again!

Kerron said...

Can't wait to visit!! ;-)