Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Spice is the variety of life

Just back from another excellent meal at the only Korean restaurant in Glasgow (maybe Scotland?) It is called Kokuryo

I was there with a group of Koreans to celebrate the graduation of one Korean friend (EunJin) from Glasgow University- as an MSc. Well done, EunJin!

If you've never tasted Korean food before... you should. But don't ask what is in any of the dishes. It is better not to know. Only joking about that. (But if you don't like seafood you may struggle.)

One of the Koreans asked me if the food wasn't too spicy for me. "No." I said, "not too spicy at all." He pressed me further. "Well, on a scale of 1 to 5 where would you put it for spiciness?" "About 3," I said. He was quite surprised by that until I explained to him that Glasgow is the curry capital of Europe- and we like our curries hot. Of course, Korean food is very different from Indian food but, as I pointed out, I've had many years to get use to chillies and garlic. It would have to be very hot to beat me!

In fact, I like to try any kind of food, from any part of the world - and there is not much that I can't eat. Some people, however, can be extremely fussy. Often, I suspect, it is because they just won't take the risk of trying something new. They prefer to play safe with what they already know.

It's not just in food that this applies, though. It's the same with ideas and experiences. Some people are afraid to entertain new ideas, or new ways of thinking, or new ways of doing things. Churches are full of these 'fussy eaters' who only want what they have always known and are not willing to try something new. But not all the 'fussy eaters' are in churches. You can find them anywhere.

I still love a good old-fashioned plateload of mince and tatties (minced beef and mashed potatoes for those not familiar with this traditional Scottish dish) but not every day.

A little bit of spice adds variety to life.

6 comments:

Kerron said...

Erm, actually, I think you'll find Watford is officially the curry capital of Britain.

http://kerroncross.blogspot.com/2006/07/watford-new-curry-capital-of-britain.html

You knows it. ;-)

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Have you ever been to Glasgow, Kerron?

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Kerron, Watford may have the most curry houses per person... but I was talking about the degree of spiciness... OK, it was a totally subjective statement and not one that, to my knowledge, has ever been researched scientifically. No doubt, however, you will be able to find some piece of research somewhere that has been done. Perhaps the Commons Library? Isn't that what it is for?

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Check this out, everybody!
"Glasgow has fought off hot competition to reclaim the title as Curry Capital of Britain. The
city has now won the title for the third time in the six year history of the competition."

www.ifsdglasgow.co.uk/pdf/mayezine.pdf

Kerron said...

No quoting from Glasgow papers, broadsheets only please!

I like the fact that me challenging Glasgow as the curry capital has sent you spinning into sending out 3 responses though. ;-)

Glasgow? I've never even been to Scotland (unless you count the old bit the other side of Hadrian's wall.

Although Linsay reassures me everyone will be really friendly...so long as I don't speak! :-/

mercurythread said...

Gotta say that Kokuryo is fantastic. Eat there at least once a week - normally two.

Blogged about it at http://www.glasgowlunchreview.co.uk/2007/07/06/kokuryo-korean-restaurant/