Thursday, April 16, 2009

I am alive!


One of the reasons for my lack of blogging recently has been the number of funerals  I have had to prepare and conduct in the last couple of weeks. Since I try to make every funeral service as personal as possible, it often requires a fair amount of time to do all the preparation and (very importantly) to make sure that I don't mix up information about each of the deceased. So I had a lot of sympathy for an anonymous colleague of mine that one of my sister's told me about tonight.
A retired minister, he was filling in during a vacancy.  Conducting the funeral service of an old lady he was laying great stress on the fact that she was the very last of her generation; that she had outlived the rest of her family. "In fact" he intoned "it was some time ago that she last spoke to her younger brother, who sadly is no longer with us."
To the minister's utter shock and embarrassment, a voice cried out from the congregation "Ah'm no deid yet! Ah'm right here."
Oops!

2 comments:

Alice said...

Superb!

Danny said...

Oooh... my worst nightmare (well one of them anyway!!)