Monday, February 23, 2009

MBBB


I first set up this blog as a medium for reflecting on some of my favourite photographs and also sharing in some random thoughts that might come into my head from time to time. With that in mind, I have to apologise for the photograph above- not for its content but for its quality!
The trouble was that I didn't have my camera with me on Friday evening and had to resort to using my phone (in very low light conditions) to capture the absolutely brilliant Michael Brawley Big Band.
(The boyfriend of one of my daughters plays trumpet in the band but last Friday night was my first opportunity to hear them for myself.)
Take ten saxophones, five trombones, five trumpets, drums, bass and piano... mix in some great arrangements of big band classics along with some more contemporary numbers, stir in a heap of slick playing, huge dollops of rhythm and a dash of musical energy and fun ... add a couple of solo vocalists on occasion... and you have a recipe for high quality entertainment. If you like that kind of thing!
... I loved it.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Good stuff, Iain, I'd have enjoyed it too! Michael once played for us on a Sunday morning and was thrown into the deep end - we were doing a Songs of Praise service with around 20 hymns/songs - the music just handed to him that morning. His accompaniment was fantastic - such vitality. A great musician.

Alice said...

AJ was looking for this morning...she had some pictures for you :)