Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The dawn of Hope

(Sunrise on the Indian River, Florida, Feb 2008)

Am I imagining this (or perhaps projecting my own feelings on to those of others) but isn't most of the world heaving a sigh of relief at the result of the US Presidential Elections? Well, I am at least. Congratulations, Barack Obama! Naturally, we in Scotland are trying to claim him as one of our own! With slightly more justification the Kenyans too are excited and proud.
I was particularly heartened by the obvious desire of the American electorate to embrace change.
I am old enough to remember the 1960's - a time when black people in some parts of the States were not even allowed to vote. And now...?
Love them or loathe them, there is no doubt that Americans know how to 'do optimism.' (A little linguistic nod there to the way in which they are also skilled at 'doing in' the English language!)
The American Dream has been resurrected and I for one rejoice in that.
Living as I do in a much older nation, with an often tired and cynical attitude to democracy and to politics in general, I find it refreshing to witness the audacity of hope.
One 'scary' thing about Election 2008, though, is how closely reality seemed to mirror the fictional storyline of The West Wing. I think someone should check Obama's name. Maybe it is really Matt Santos?

2 comments:

E.Louise said...

I read somewhere that the Santos storyline was based on Obama, after he gave an impressive speech at the 04 convention.
So you're not imagining it!

Cherie said...

Refreshing post, Iain. It's nice to have voices from other nations praising us for a change. Thank you!

We do have our faults as do all nations, but we, like little kids at a dull party, keep things lively in this cynical old world, don't we.

I hazily remember the sixties, too. And what I saw yesterday was like a flashback. Not so much the outcomes of the various races, but the looks on the faces of my countrymen. They cared and they felt part of the process.

A long time returning, that energy is. Exciting days lie ahead.