Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Law of Unintended Consequences


Yesterday I was in Dundee representing Lanark Presbytery at the Church of Scotland's Church & Society Council Conference. It meant I was unable to watch my team (Motherwell FC) being thrashed 4 -2 by Celtic. Maybe I didn't miss much there.
But even apart from that I was glad that I did get the opportunity to take part in that particular conference, especially because the keynote speaker was Dr. Denis Alexander, a distinguished biochemist and Director of the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion at St. Edmund's College, Cambridge. His presentation, entitled 'Transcending Dawkins' God: renewing the positive interface between science and faith,' was informative, intelligent, interesting and inspiring.
I was delighted to get the chance to have a substantial conversation with him afterwards. Later, I also couldn't resist buying a couple of his books. (All I need now is some time to read them.)
There's no way I could summarise in a couple of paragraphs here Dr. Alexander's carefully argued and convincing presentation which showed there is no necessary conflict between science and faith but I can't resist sharing one little anecdote from his talk concerning Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion."
Apparently one of the scientists who is on Dr. Alexander's team in his Cambridge Lab was a confirmed atheist ... until, as a result of reading Dawkins' book, the atheistic scientist was converted to the Christian faith!
Now don't tell me God doesn't have a sense of humour!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,
A couple of mounts ago Third Way published an article by Denis. I have put a link to it from my blog http://ulen.wordpress.com/2008/08/06/viva-evolution/. It's interesting to also read the comments left by readers!

Peter said...

Sorry I missed that conference... it sounds excellent.

I absolutely agree that there is no necessary conflict between science and faith.

However, I do think that there is an onus on folks with a background or interest in science and a life of faith to explain, expound and make it known to others that this is both possible and rewarding.

I read yesterday about a creationist museum that has opened in Plymouth to propagate that anti-science view of our origins. There is work to be done.

Vahe Isaganyan said...

That last bit made me laugh. Reading "The God Delusion" turned the man into a Christian.

That is pretty hard to swallow. I own that book and all it does is reinforce an atheists view.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

vahe - thanks for dropping in on the blog. I think the person in question just felt that Richard Dawkins was protesting too much and wanted to check out the evidence by themselves first hand. Anyway, the real point is that there need not be a conflict between science and faith. Of course atheists want you to believe there is.