Monday, August 18, 2008

Sheep may safely graze


We have not seen very much sunshine in this part of the world this "summer."
However, most of the many weddings I have conducted since June have been blessed with good weather. One evening in early July, I was heading home from one of those weddings through a lovely part of rural South Lanarkshire (near Quothquan) and I couldn't resist stopping at this point to take a photograph of these peaceful fields. There were plenty of clouds in the sky but just enough breaks in them to allow the evening sunshine to light up the rolling hills and fields. The sheep lazily grazing away just added to the sense of tranquillity. I could have driven past in a hurry because (as always) there were many things still to do that evening but how much more satisfying to stop the car, get out and then just stare...
Reminds me of the poem by W.H. Davies.

Leisure

WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

5 comments:

lynntie said...

Always liked that one.

Mo said...

Lovely view, even though I see it every day I never tire of the countryside. My guess is it is Libberton, taken from near the church. Spare a thought for the farmers who care for the countryside but are all becoming bald as they tear their hair out wondering if they are going to get a harvest this year!

Alice said...

Hope all his sheep are there!!

Kerron said...

Fancy having a go at this?

http://kerroncross.blogspot.com/2008/08/what-were-you-doing-when.html

AnneDroid said...

When I first heard that poem as a schoolgirl I didn't really get it.

Now? I really LOVE to stop and stare. I can sit and look at a view for ages and ages. Stopping and staring with a cup of coffee in my hand is better still.