Monday, July 21, 2008

Consider the lilies of the garden

One of my sisters has a fantastic garden.
A few years ago it was little more than a field in the highlands of Scotland. Now it is an oasis of colour and beauty. The transformation is the product of lots of creative imagination and lots and lots of constant hard work.
The whole garden is quite amazing but I usually like to home in on individual plants or objects because there is often as much great beauty and interest to be found in the small things as in the big picture.
The flower photographed above was one of my favourites this 'summer.'
I am no expert (certainly not when it comes to actually WORKING in the garden!) but I believe this may be a variety of Zantedeschia or arum lily. I'd be happy to be corrected by anyone who knows otherwise.
These flowers are not exactly shy and retiring are they? They almost SHOUT at you to notice them. And why not? Even the plant world seems to have its celebrities enjoying their moment of fame.

[Don't forget to click on the picture to see it full size.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your photo is quite delightful- also delighted by your kind though exaggerated comments on my gardening prowess.
doing the garden is never really something i consider to be hard work because I'm so passionate about it- I'm at my all time happiest when I'm getting my hands dirty and envisioning and anticipating how things might grow.
You may not agree with this sentiment but I have a lot of empathy with GB Shaw's sentiments that " the best place to seek God is in a garden- you can dig for him there"
(the adventures of the black girl in her search for God)