Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hymn for the persecuted church


[Photo: inside the prisons of the Doge's Palace in Venice]

I am sure a number of people who used to regularly read this blog have now given up on it entirely. I haven't managed to write much at all in the last few weeks. My only excuse is that I have been pretty busy lately with my real job.
This week alone I have three funerals, a wedding and (on Sunday coming) four baptisms.
All the same, I do have a little something to share with anyone who might have the slightest interest.
Last Sunday was the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. I spent some time searching for a suitable hymn but I couldn't find anything that really fitted. So I decided to write one myself. This is it - set to the tune "Passion Chorale."

HYMN FOR THE PERSECUTED CHURCH

We bring before you, Jesus, the ones who bear your name—
our sisters and our brothers, oppressed and put to shame.
In times of persecution, when faith is sorely tried,
give courage through the knowledge that you are by their side.

Help us to share the burden and show us how to care
through faithful interceding for all who need our prayer;
that we may stand together with all who suffer loss,
those who in faith and courage have taken up Your cross.

If we should face oppression because we are your own,
may we find strength in knowing that we are not alone;
and should we find ourselves with a bitter cross to bear,
may we find hope and comfort through someone else’s prayer.

(c) Iain D. Cunningham, 2007

4 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Brilliant, Iain. Thanks for sharing this. Glad you've got some real work to do! :)

a feckless boy said...

excellent stuff ian

L said...

Fancy sharing out some of that talent!

sean said...

Fantastic words. Thank you for sharing. We are a Presbyterian church in Nampa, Idaho and I was wondering if we could sing this hymn. We would credit you for the words and the copyright. Would we need to pay a stipend? This hymn would be used with Matthew 5:10....blessed are the persecuted.
Thank you for sharing on your blog.
sean@seanrogers.org