Thursday, September 07, 2006

The way we learn?

Rest
Of all the many, many photographs I have ever taken, this has to be one of my favourites.
I use it as the wallpaper for my laptop, because it is so restful. It was taken on a summer evening at Cornhill House, near Biggar, Scotland.

Do you remember in the Winnie the Pooh stories that Pooh Bear had his special "thinking spot"?
Well, this is mine.
Not that I actually have time to go to the place itself, but the photograph is usually enough to give me 'space' to reflect.

I've heard it said that adults learn through experience. I wish that were true. And I wish it were as easy. In fact, adults only learn if they reflect on their experiences, and even then it is all too easy to forget the lessons learned.

For me, reflection usually involves a kind of internal dialogue. In other words, I talk to myself.
I know... it doesn't sound too good does it?
But, you know, if you don't talk to yourself, you're never going to learn much.

It's an interesting phenomenon, though. Think about it. In fact ask yourself about it!
If I am talking to myself does it mean there is more than one "me"? And if the dialogue in my head is between two parts of 'me' which part of me is it that makes the final decision between the debating parties? Maybe there's a third 'me' that adjudicates?
Confused? .... you will be...

It's because all of this 'reflecting' process goes on in my head from time to time that I actually don't find it all that difficult to hold on to the Christian doctrine that God is Three-in-One. Why should we expect the Creator of such a complex and beautiful world to be more simple than ourselves?

I think I'd better get back to my tree...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Iain

I really like your reflections site. This tree you have in your picture reminds me of the tree at Carberry with the seats also around it-another place to think or just be. I know what you mean about internal dialogue the frustration is when the two voices disagree and no third voice gives the final vote! Shona x

Anonymous said...

THIS PICTURE MADE ME FEEL AT PEACE IN MY HECTIC WORLD PERHAPS I WILL HAVE IT AS MY WALLPAPER TO REMIND ME THAT THERE IS INDEED PEACE OUT THERE - I JUST HAVE TO TRY AND FIND IT AGAIN

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

May you come to the place where find that peace is not just "out there" but actually within.

Anonymous said...

you are so right - a good place to start - thank you

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

To "anonymous"
Read your latest comment and thought about these words from a well-known piece which I will quote in full some time

"No heaven can come to us unless our hearts find rest in today. Take heaven!
No peace lies in the future
which is not hidden in this present little instant.
Take peace!"